Join us for Sundays at the Symphony!
TICKETS ON SALE NOW at The Grand 1894 Opera House
GSO Plays the Pops: Vienna Style Sommerfest
June 26, 2022 | Sunday (originally scheduled January 9)
Fun Strauss waltzes, polkas, and audience favorites in the style of Sommerfest concerts, plus the moving piece Galveston Survives, by Izola E. Collins in memory of the beloved Galveston African American composer, educator and author, and in honor of Juneteenth.
- John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner
- Johann Strauss, Jr., Thunder and Lightening Polka
- Johann Strauss, Jr., Emperor Waltz (Kaiser Waltzer)
- Leroy Anderson, Cat Waltz
- Leroy Anderson, Blue Tango
- Leroy Anderson, Jazz Legato and Jazz Pizzicato
- Leroy Anderson, Bugler’s Holiday
- Izola Collins, Galveston Survives
- Johann Strauss, Jr., Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka
- Johann Strauss, Sr., Radetzky March
- John Philip Sousa, The Stars and Stripes Forever
Masterworks IV: Kaleidoscope
May 22, 2022 | Sunday
- Satie/Debussy: Gymnopedie 1
- Prokofiev: Piano Concerto 3 (Rodolfo Leone, piano)
— INTERMISSION! —
- Price: Ethiopia’s Shadow in America
- Debussy: La mer
A musical adventure—from quiet meditation, through piano pyrotechnics, and a newly discovered(!) rousing work, to Debussy’s most celebrated orchestra masterpiece, La mer.
Masterworks III: Beethoven’s Eroica!
April 24, 2022 | Sunday
- Louise Farrenc: Overture No. 1, Op.23 in E minor (1834)
- Edward Elgar: Nimrod from Enigma Variations (added to the program in memory of Nancy Lefeber Hughes, M.D.)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major (William Hagen, violin)
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 3, Eroica
An inspiring concert with a long lost work by 19th century composer Louise Farrenc, a gorgeous Mozart concerto, and the wild ride of Beethoven’s Third!
Masterworks II: Passions
March 13, 2022 | Sunday
- Ukrainian National Anthem – ADDED TO PROGRAM
Richard Wagner: Overture to “Die Meistersinger”
- Beethoven – ADDED TO PROGRAM
Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Violin Concerto in D Major (Stella Chen, violin)
Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No. 1 – REMOVED FROM PROGRAM
Enjoy Wagner’s glorious spectacle of sound, an exciting concerto, and more!
Masterworks I: Valentine’s Concert
February 13, 2022 | Sunday
- Jarnefelt: Berceuse
- Gliere: Harp Concerto (Stephanie Gustafson, harp)
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1 (“Winter Daydreams”)
Experience a charming romantic concert with a breath of fresh, cool, Nordic air; a beautiful harp concerto; and a symphony overflowing with lovely melodies.
Current Galveston Symphony Orchestra programs are supported by individual donations and by generous grant support from